Servings: 6 to 8
Cook Time: 30 min.
Temp: 350 degrees F.
Author: Dan Chad
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 15-17 oz. of salmon flaked into chunks
- ½ pound of noodles (egg, veggie, black, Rigatoni or your favorite kind)
- 1 ½ cups of milk (2 % or whole work best for creating a white sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt (or to your taste)
- ½ tsp. pepper ( or to your taste)
- 1 medium red onion minced (white or yellow work fine too)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or a cheese blend of white and yellow, works well)
- 1 cup Panko or breadcrumbs + 1 Tbsp. melted butter mixed together or 1 cup of crushed potato chips for the topping. (optional)
Directions for the White Sauce:
- Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, nutmeg, red onion and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Over low heat, continue to whisk for at least 2 minutes. This will minimize the flour taste.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring constantly until it thickens.
Directions for the Noodles and Broccoli:
- Following the directions for cooking your noodles on the package, bring your water to a boil.
- Cook the broccoli crowns in the boiling water that was meant for the noodles for about 4 to 5 minutes. You will cook the noodles in a few minutes.
- Remove and drain the broccoli crowns. Add the noodles into the water that the broccoli crowns came out of and cook for 9 – 10 minutes.
- Drain the noodles
Directions for the Casserole:
- Spray or lightly oil a casserole dish.
- Mix the noodles, the white sauce mixture, parsley, the broccoli and the salmon together.
- Top the casserole with the shredded cheese.
- Top the cheese with the Panko or breadcrumbs mixed with the melted butter or use crushed potato chips. (optional)
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Uncover and broil the top to brown the cheese or Panko/ breadcrumb or potato chip topping.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the dish to cool slightly and the white sauce to thicken before serving.
Warm, savory, hearty and healthy Salmon Noodle Casserole from our kitchen to yours. 💗