I love a recipe that can be made any time of the year. Vegetarian New England Baked Beans is a hearty, thick, sweet and savory dish that can be eaten hot or cold. It’s perfect for a potluck, dinner side or a picnic. They are easy to make with basic ingredients. The hardest part of this dish is smelling its delicious aroma all day while you wait for the beans to finish cooking.
Serves: 6 to 8
Cook Time: 3 hours
Temp: 300 degrees F.
- 1 lb. of dry navy beans
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 6 to 8 cups of water
- 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/3 c. molasses
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut in half
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard or 1 tsp. regular mustard (I prefer brown mustard)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Soak the dry navy beans in a large pot, Add enough water to cover the beans with an additional 2 inches or so over the top of the beans. Add 2 Tbsp. of salt to the water. Stir. Let soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. if you are using a Dutch Oven. You can make this recipe in a slow cooker, crock pot or in a large pot on your stove.
- Rinse the beans. Add the beans to a Dutch Oven, crock pot, slow cooker or large pot for the stovetop.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce, molasses, salt, pepper, 4 cups of water, both halves of the onion, bay leaf, and mustard to the beans. Cover and cook the beans for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, uncover the beans. Continue to cook for an additional hour.
- After the additional hour, remove the beans from the oven. Take out the onion and bay leaf. Brush down the sides of the pot and add all of that extra good flavor into the beans. Give them a quick stir. Cover the beans and let steam for 5 minutes off the heat.
- After 5 minutes, uncover the beans and taste to see if they need additional salt or pepper.
- Serve warm or cold. They are delicious either way.
There you have it! Vegetarian New England Style baked beans recipe from our kitchen to yours! 💗