Hmm! What should I put in our dinner salad tonight? That is the question that I ask almost every night and the answer is usually a version of the same ingredients with a little change or two. So, I decided its time to switch things up and make our salads healthier, more interesting and packed full of nutritional goodness while still tasting good. You can add just about anything in a salad. This salad could compliment any meal or be eaten as a meal. It’s easy to make, you can add or substitute any ingredients to meet your tastes and dietary needs and its delicious!
Serves: 2-4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
* 1/2 head of fresh Romaine Lettuce
* 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
* 1/4 of a medium red onion chopped
* 1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/4 cup of whole walnuts, roughly chopped
* 1/4 cup of roasted and salted sunflower seeds
* 1/2 cup dried cherries and/or fresh blueberries (or any berry of your choice) I didn’t add blueberries, because we didn’t have any in the fridge, but will next time. 🙂
* 1 cup cooked Organic Super Grains (I use Meijer or Walmart Organic Super Grain Mix)
* Salad dressing of our choice
1. Cook the Organic Super Grains per package directions. It is usually 1 cup of rinsed grains to cups of boiling water. Boil covered for 15-20 minutes until water has been absorbed. Remove the cover and let the grains sit for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff, cool and add to the salad. You will have several cups of grains left over for another day.
3. Roughly chop the walnuts into large chunks.
2. Wash, chop and prepare your veggies.
4. Combine the the lettuce, veggies, walnuts, sunflower seeds, super grain mix, dried cherries and/or fresh fruit and any additional items that you would like to add, in a medium size serving bowl. Give everything a toss and serve with a dressing of your choice on the side.
What are you going to put in your salad tonight? Try our Organic Grains, Sunflower Seeds, Nut and Fruit Salad. It’s packed full of nutrients and protein that will do your body good. From our kitchen to yours! 💗