Skip the extra carbs of the classic breaded and fried Eggplant Parmesan and try our family’s favorite way of preparing eggplant. Who needs the extra calories and carbs? How do you skip the carbs, you ask? You pop the eggplant and the garlic onto the grill or into a grill pan. Ah yes! The extra depth of flavor from grilling the eggplant and the garlic is so worth it!
This cheesy, glorious vegetarian dish is hearty, rich and a comfort food that you can feel good about eating.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Temperature: 350 degrees F.
Created by: Dan Chad
- 1 large egg plant
- ¼+ cup + 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic chopped (directions to follow)
- 3 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 jar of Prego Farmers Market Mushroom Sauce (you can substitute a red sauce or you can make one from scratch.)
- ½ lb. fresh White Button Mushrooms (or a mushroom of your choice)
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ to ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
Directions for Roasted Garlic:
- Cut open the top of each garlic clove slightly. Leave the skin on the garlic and the root intact.
- Coat each clove with Olive Oil
- Roast the whole cloves coated with Olive Oil in the grill pan or on the grill.
- Turn the cloves to roast both sides.
- Roast the cloves until the outside skin begins to turn yellow and is starting to char.
- Allow the cloves to cool.
- Peel the outside skin off of each garlic clove.
- Chop into small pieces.
Directions for the Egg Plant:
- Slice the eggplant into thin slices, less than ½ inch or approx. 3/16”.
- Coat the eggplant slices in the 3 tbsp of Olive Oil and lay them on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and basil (you can add or substitute any spices that you prefer here.)
- Transfer the slices from the baking sheet to either a grill pan or grill Grill the eggplant for approx. 4-7 minutes per side until tender. Then, transfer the eggplant slices back to the baking pan.
- On a sheet of foil (if using a grill) or add to the grill pan (if using an indoor grill pan) the onions, mushrooms, roasted garlic, spinach and 2 tbsp. of Olive Oil. Grill for 4-7 minutes until softened.
- Coat an 8 x 8 oven safe casserole dish with about 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Add a layer of eggplant slices to the bottom of the dish evenly spaced apart. If they overlap a bit, that’s fine.
- Add 1/3 of the mushroom spinach mixture (onion, mushrooms, garlic, spinach) on top of the eggplant layer.
- Add 1/3 jar of the red sauce on top of the spinach mixture.
- Add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese on top of the red sauce.
- Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Drizzle red sauce over the mozzarella cheese on the very top layer.
- Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on the top of the casserole as the finishing touch.
- Cover the casserole and bake 325 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Bake until the sauce is bubbling.
- Uncover and broil the top to brown the cheese.
- Let set for a few minutes to allow the cheese to firm and the dish to cool slightly before eating.
Cheesy, hearty, Roasted Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan from our kitchen to yours! 💗