Jamaican Red Beans with Rice is a spicy, hearty New Orleans style comfort food. It’s easy to make and nourishing to eat. The smells in our kitchen invite you to stay for dinner when my husband makes this dish. This is a dish that begs the cook to add different variations to and make it your very own. This is our family’s Vegetarian version adapted by my husband Dan.
Servings: 8 to 10
Cook Time: about 60 minutes
Author: Adapted by Dan Chad
Ingredients for Jamaican Red Beans
- 1 16 oz bag of small red beans
- 2 Tbsp.Canola or Soy Bean cooking oil
- 2-3 medium gloves of garlic minced (per your taste)
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped into small pieces
- 6 tomatoes chopped into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 rib of celery finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1-2 Tbsp. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (Island Spice brand) per your taste.
Ingredients for the Rice:
- ½ cup Vermicelli
- 2 Tbsp. Canola or Soy Bean oil
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric (We use freshly grated when available. You can also use powdered)
- 1 Tbsp. Chicken Base (optional , but gives the best flavor ) or 1 tsp Sea Salt.
- 1 cup Basmati or Jasmine Rice
- 3 cups water
Directions for Preparing the Red Beans:
- Prepare beans ahead of time. You have two options here.
- Quick Version: Add water to cover by 2 inches . Boil for 5 minutes . let set 3-4 hours. Repeat the process. Let set until cool.
- Slower, but better texture and flavor version: Soak the beans overnight prior to cooking them for the best flavor and texture.
- Rinse beans in a Colander under cold water.
- Add oil to a 5 quart pot. Add the celery and green pepper . Cook on medium hear for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add the onions, salt and seasoning. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent. Take care not to burn the onions.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. You may need to add 1/2 cup water to make sure there is enough liquid to cook the tomatoes down.
- Add the beans into the pot.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring the mixture to a light or gentle boil. Add water as needed to keep the level just below the level of the beans in the pot.
- Bring to a simmering boil. Reduce the temperature to Low and continue simmering the mixture for 45 minutes or until the beans are tender (Everyone version of “tender” is different. Cook the beans until you reach your desired “tender”.) There should be some liquid left in the pot. If not, add a small amount of water or chicken stock until the mixture is semi-loose
- OPTION: If you would like some of the beans or all of the beans to have a creamier texture, mash some or all of the mixture with a blender (we use a Stick Blender that we put right into the pot)
Directions for the Rice:
- Rinse the rice in cold water and set aside.
- Brown Vermicelli in the oil for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Watch closely , it will burn .
- Add the Tumeric and chicken base (or poultry seasoning). Continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover the pot. Turn the heat and simmer for about 8-10 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and let steam 5 minutes with the cover on. After 5 minutes, remove cover and fluff the rice gently with a fork.
Jamaican Red Beans with Rice from our kitchen to yours!