Rider Family Recipe Adapted by Deb (Rider) Chad
Carrot Cake is so good! This cupcake is moist and loaded with deliciousness. Instead of the usual cream cheese frosting, which is amazing, this cupcake is frosted with a Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting which has a slight maple flavor. I love both types of cream cheese frosting. Maybe next time, I’ll put a little of each in my piping bag. 🙂
Servings: 14 standard size cupcakes
Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
Temperature: 350 degrees F.
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached All- Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Fine sea salt (can substitute fine Kosher salt)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup oil (I prefer canola oil)
- ¼ cup full fat sour cream (room temperature)
- ½ tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots (peeled carrots before grating.)(room temperature)
- ½ cup crushed pineapple in real juice (drained and squeezed until most of the liquid is out)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- ½ cup sweetened or unsweetened coconut (optional)
Note: You can eliminate the pineapple and increase the carrots by ½ cup if you do not want the pineapple in your cupcakes. The pineapple adds sweetness and moisture as do the carrots. )
- 8 oz. full fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 2 tsp. real vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. fine sea salt (table or fine Kosher salt work fine)
- 3 cups of powdered sugar (may need more or less to reach the desired consistency)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs and oil until light in color, thick and foamy. (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, carrots and pineapple (if using) and mix well.
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Stir just until blended. Do not overmix!
- Fill the cupcake liners half full. The cupcakes will rise to the top of the liner as they bake. They will keep a flat top which is easier to frost if you do not overfill the liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes in the pan. Then, remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
1.Beat together the cream cheese, butter and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth. This may take 4-5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl several times. You are beating, not whipping the frosting.
Note: I used a large star to pipe the frosting.
2. Add the vanilla, salt and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Continue to add powdered sugar until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting from our kitchen to yours.