Moist, delicious, sweet and fluffy vanilla bean cupcakes. Perfect for a birthday, special event or anytime you need a sweet treat to bring a smile to someone’s face. Maybe even yours! 🙂
Serving: 14 average size cupcakes
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
Temperature: 350 degrees
*Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
Homemade Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups of cake flour (200g)
- (You can use all-purpose flour, however the cake will be a bit denser
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature (115 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- the seeds scraped from 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup sour cream (120 g) at room temperature (use full fat)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 oz. full fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 6 Tb unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (whole milk can be used as a substitute)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. fine Kosher salt (sea salt can also be used)
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Beat the butter on medium- high speed until smooth and creamy for about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes until light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg whites, vanilla and the vanilla bean seeds. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- Beat in the sour cream.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredient
- Slowly pour in the milk and mix until combined.
- DO NOT OVER MIX! You may need to do the final mixing by hand using a whisk if there are any remaining lumps.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. This will allow room for the cupcakes to puff up
- Bake for 18-20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven preheated to 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached to it.
- Cool for about 5 minutes and remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Blend the room temperature and the cream cheese together on medium to medium high speed using the paddle attachment of the mixer, until smooth.
- Mix the salt and the powdered sugar together.
- Add half of the powdered sugar to the butter and cream cheese. Mix until smooth
- Add in the heavy cream (or milk) and mix until combined
- Add in the vanilla
- Add in more of the powdered sugar cup by cup, until frosting reaches the consistency that your desire for decorating the cupcakes.
Note: You can make the cupcakes 1 day in advance and keep them in a covered container at room temperature. Frosting can also be made 1 day in advance and kept in the fridge until ready to use. You may need to add a bit of cream or milk to the frosting and rewhip if slightly prior to using . Cupcakes will last about 3 days if they are covered tightly and kept in the fridge.
Theses cupcakes freeze well. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Moist, delicious vanilla bean cupcakes from out kitchen to yours. Enjoy! 🙂