Ooey, gooey rich chocolaty chip cookie cupcake with a cream cheese filling. are fun to eat and really cute to see. They look like a muffin and taste like a cookie with a surprise inside. Make a batch to share with your friends. So good! 🙂
Servings: 14 cookie cupcakes
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
Temperature: 350 degrees
- 2 cups of King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter. browned in a saucepan and cooled (to room temperature)
- 2/3 cup of dark brown sugar (you can also use light brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can also use a mix of semi- and milk chocolate, semi and white chocolate, or try dark chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless!
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 3/4 cup full fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. clear vanilla extract (regular pure vanilla extract works fine too)
Directions for the Cookie Cupcakes:
- Whisk the dry ingredients together: flour, salt and baking soda.
- In the mixer bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix on medium to medium high for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix until combined and slightly lighter in color.
- Add the egg + egg yolk. Mix on medium low speed until combined
- Add the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and flatten. Cover the flattened discs and chill in the fridge for at least an hour or over night. You can freeze the dough at this stage to bake later.
Directions for the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Cream the cream cheese and sugar together until silky smooth.
- Add the eggs in one at a time. Mix until combined
- Mix in the sour cream and the vanilla. The mixture will be thin. Pop it into the fridge to chill until ready to use.
- Note: The filling will be thin and needs to be chilled to help it thicken up a bit.
Assemble the Cookie Cupcakes:
- Put one cookie dough disc into each muffin tin. Do not use muffin liners or spray the muffin tins.
- Scoop 1 to 2 scant Tbsp. o of the cream cheese filling mixture onto each cookie dough disc. The filling + the cookie dough should fill the cupcake tin to about 3/4 full at this point.
- Top the cream cheese filling with another cookie dough disc.
- Bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes. The cookie should be set and slightly golden brown. The middle of the cookie will look slightly undercooked.
- Let cool in the muffin tins for 10 minutes.
- Carefully use a small offset spatula to remove the cookie cupcakes from the tin and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- The cookie cupcakes keep well in the fridge for 3 days if they are covered. Bring the cookie cupcake to room temp or microwave for 15-20 seconds to take the chill off before serving.
Cookie Cupcakes with a cream cheese filling are a special treat from our kitchen to yours!💗