Homemade Artisan Bread is delicious, healthy and easier than you think to make. Give it a try!
Yields: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 440 minutes
Baking Temperature: 440 degrees
- 3 1/2 cups Non-Bleached All Purpose Flour
- Extra flour for dusting the bread and the counter
- 2 tsp Coarse Kosher Salt (You can also use Coarse Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup water warmed to 110-112 degrees
- White or Yellow Coarse Cornmeal for dusting
- Spoon and level 3 1/2 cups of non-bleached flour into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the salt and yeast. Gradually add in the water, while stirring with a wooden or plastic spoon. Stir gently until the has been slowly incorporated into the flour and the dough can be molded into a rough ball.
- Transfer the dough ball into an ungreased glass or plastic bowl and cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm/room temperature place to ferment for at least 12 hours or over night. The dough will double in size and the surface will be covered with tiny bubbles.
- When your dough is ready to bake. Place your Dutch Oven with the lid on, into a pre-heated 440 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- While the oven and baking container are preheating, Turn your dough out onto a well floured board or countertop. Gently stretch the dough into a rectangle. Fold 2/3 of the dough over. Fold the last 1/3 of the dough over top of the 2/3 that your just folded. You are creating an envelop fold. Pinch the ends to seal. Use your hands and gently pull the bottom edges of the dough under as you form a round ball.
- Make a Parchment Paper sling by cutting a long piece in half length wise. Make a cross with the Parchment Paper.
- Sprinkle white or yellow cornmeal into the space or square where the Parchment Paper intersects in the middle.
- Gently place the dough ball onto the cornmeal in the middle of the Parchment Paper. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes while the oven is heating.
- Just before baking, use a razor blade, or serrated knife, to slash 3 lines across the top of the loaf. Each cut should be about 1/4 inch deep and about 2 -3 inches long.
- Lightly mist the top of the loaf with water. Just enough to dampen the top.
- Remove the Dutch Oven or baking container from the oven. Gently pick the Parchment Paper sling up with the dough ball in the middle and place it into the hot Dutch Oven. Put the lid on and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and bake for an additional 14-15 minutes until the top is golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn the bread out onto a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Your house will smell like heaven and your family will thank you. Grab your favorite spread, a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy!
From our kitchen to yours. Enjoy! 🙂